The Colorado YMCA’s Youth in Government Program gives students first-hand knowledge of how government works.
Every year, students learn about the state’s democratic system and how laws and government shape people’s lives. They explore all major aspects of state government, filling roles as politicians, lobbyists, attorneys and journalists.
Youth in Government is a three-month leadership program that lets you get involved and get ahead with:
- Real-life experience as a legislator, lobbyist, judge or journalist
- Improve skills in public speaking, writing, law, and debate
- Demonstrate initiative and leadership that the future will require -- and colleges will look for!
This program is ideal for students who are interested in:
- Any field that requires critical thinking and presentation skills including sales, marketing, engineering, technology and more
Get involved! Financial assistance is available here.
Youth in Government General Assembly 2023
- Monday, November 20 | 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM | First Baptist Church | 1373 Grant St., Denver CO 80203
- Tuesday, November 21 | 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM | State Services Building | 1525 N Sherman St. Denver CO 80203
- Wednesday, November 22 | 8:30 AM - 12 PM | Renaissance Hotel | 918 17 St., Denver CO 80203 | Grand Ballroom
Registration is open!
Since 1954, the Denver YMCA's Youth in Government (YIG) program has provided a learning opportunity like no other for middle and high school students to learn about our democratic system.
- When: November 19 - 22, 2023
- Who: Ages 12 - 18
- Where: Colorado State Capital | 200 E Colfax, Denver CO
- Cost: Program $150 | Hotels $99
- Registration Opens: July 31, 2023 | Registration Closes: October 6, 2023 | Must be paid in full by October 8, 2023
- Delegates bills are due October 20 via Airtable: Bill Submission Link
- Scholarships Due: September 30, 2023 - learn about our scholarship application process
National Judicial Competition (NJC)
The annual National Judicial Competitions (NJC) is for high school students to participate in the model judicial components (mock trial and appellate/moot court) of the YMCA YIG program. Each youth and government state programs select students from their state to compete in either the mock trial or appellate court competitions at NJC.
NJC (National Judicial Competition) First week of August, Minneapolis, Minnesota Cost $600 per delegate, includes accommodations, flight, some meals, conference fee and materials
Conference on National Affairs (CONA)
CONA (Conference on National Affairs) July 1-6th, 2023 Black Mountain, North Carolina YMCA YOUTH CONFERENCE ON NATIONAL AFFAIRS Cost $800 per delegate, includes accommodations, flight, most meals, conference fee and materials