Ready for School. Ready to Thrive.
For kids struggling in school or at risk of falling behind over the summer, the YMCA is a community resource.
The YMCA’s Power Scholars Academy is increasing education readiness and academic achievement for students throughout Denver.
Studies show that every summer most students lose about two months of grade-level equivalency in math skills and reading. Children from underserved families are especially at risk.
Through Power Scholars Academy, student “scholars” in K-5th grades get hands-on academic support to prevent and minimize this loss. For six weeks throughout the summer, kids gather at four elementary schools in Denver to focus on specific program goals:
- Increase math and literary skills
- Strengthen self-confidence, social-emotional learning and wellness
- Build a stronger connection with their school and the community
The program also features daily nutritious breakfasts, service projects and regular field trips to support learning and increase critical-thinking skills.
Building on a SEAL curriculum of social, emotional and academic learning, Power Scholars Academy produces measurable outcomes. Across all Power Scholars Academy sites, it’s been found:
- Students experience an average 2 months’ gain in math skills and 2.3 months in reading skills
- 95% of parents report improvements in their child’s ability to overcome challenges
- 96% of parents see improvements in their child’s confidence
- 94% of parents increase their involvement in their child’s education
Power Scholars Academy is part of a national initiative by Y-USA and BELL – Building Educated Leaders for Life. The program is based on BELL’s evidence-based summer learning model and is delivered in partnership with eight Ys throughout the country, including the YMCA of Metro Denver.
Become a Power Scholar!
Power Scholars is a free program for qualifying students. The Summer 2022 session runs June 20 to July 29.
Power Scholars Academy operates at:
- Garden Place Academy
- Swansea Elementary
- Wyatt Academy
- Select Cherry Creek School District sites
- NEW: Montclair School of Academics and Achievement
If you would like to learn more about enrolling your child in the Power Scholars Academy, contact Jessica Wallin.
Support Power Scholars
The YMCA believes all kids have potential and all children should be empowered to reach it. Power Scholars Academy is just one of the ways the YMCA is boosting education achievement and transforming the lives of students and their families.
Power Scholars Academy is supported by grant funding, as well as donations by individual supporters who care about kids, community, and the future. Donate to Power Scholars Academy here.