Learn to Swim
LEARN TO SWIM AT THE Y! Classes begin monthly!
The YMCA of Metropolitan Denver has been providing aquatic programs to your local communities for more than 75 years, teaching thousands of children to swim and to be safe when playing around water.
We have 4, indoor, year-round pools, click to register for swim classes at the location nearest you:
- Arvada (Duncan Family YMCA)
- Littleton (Littleton Family YMCA)
- University Hills (Schlessman Family YMCA)
- Southwest (Southwest Family YMCA)
Outdoor Summer Swim Classes are available at:
- Wheatlands in Aurora
- Lakeshouse at Southshore in Aurora
- Crystal Valley Ranch in Castle Rock
- Sapphire Point in Castle Rock (for Sapphire Point Residents Only)
- Founders in Castle Rock
- Solterra in Lakewood
- Reunion in Commerce City
- Village at Five Parks in Arvada (for residents only)
- Whisper Creek in Arvada (for residents only)
CLASS DESCRIPTIONS, we offer a wide range of classes and programs for all ages, including:
- Parent - Child (ages 6-36 months) This class provides the child with a positive first aquatic experience while bonding the parent and child. Children will participate in group activities & games that emphasize basic movements in the water: kicking, arm movements, & breath control. Children are required to wear swim diapers under their swimsuit (No Regular Diapers). One adult per child is required; couples encouraged.
- Seahorses (with Parent, age 2) Seahorse is designed for the independent child who can swim with or without a floatation device. Class will begin with the parent in the water and attempt to slowly transition to a “parent- free” class as the student becomes more comfortable in the class. Emphasis will be placed in building the student’s confidence in a pool setting.
- PRESCHOOL SWIM CLASSES (ages 3-5)
Pike Ages 3-5 Beginner I Swimmer who has little or no experience swimming independently, but comfortable when separated from parents. Children will work on: floating; basic paddling strokes; kicking skills; pool safety; and gain comfort having their faces in the water.
Eel Ages 3-5 Beginner II Swimmer already able to (with a float belt): front & back float 20 seconds; paddle on their front, back, & side for 5 ft. each.
Ray Ages 3-5 Adv. Beginner I Swimmer already able to: jump in the water without assistance; paddle on their front, back, & side for 15 ft. each; and front & back float 20 seconds with or w/o a float belt.
Starfish Ages 3-5 Adv. Beginner II Swimmer already able to: front & back float 30 sec.; tread water 20 seconds; swim front paddle with rudimentary rhythmic breathing and swim back & side alternating paddle for 20 ft. each.
- SCHOOL AGED SWIM LESSONS (ages 6-14)
Polliwog Ages 6-14 Beginner Swimmer who has little or no experience swimming independently. Children will work on: floating; basic paddling strokes; kicking skills; pool safety; and gaincomfort having their faces in the water.
Guppy Ages 6-14 Adv. Beginner Swimmer already able to: front & back float 30 seconds; paddle on front, back & side for 20 ft. each; and jump into the water unassisted.
Minnow Ages 6-14 Intermediate I Swimmer already able to: front/ back float 1 minute; tread water 20 seconds; swim the front crawl with rhythmic breathing, side & back alternating paddle, and front & back symmetrical paddle for 40 ft. each.
Fish Ages 6-14 Intermediate II Swimmer already able to: float 3 minutes; swim the front & back crawl in good form, rudimentary breaststroke, sidestroke, & elementary backstroke for 25 yards each; and tread water 1 minute.
Flying Fish Ages 6-14 Advanced I Swimmer already able to: float 6 minutes; swim the front crawl, back crawl, sidestroke, breaststroke, and elementary backstroke for 50 yds.; 15 yds. butterfly; and tread water 3 minutes.
Shark Ages 6-14 Advanced II Swimmer already able to: float 6 minutes (in clothes); swim the front crawl with bi-lateral breathing for 100 yds.; swim breaststroke, back crawl, elementary backstroke, & sidestroke for 100 yds.; swim 25 yds. butterfly; and tread water 6 minutes.
- Porpoise Club (ages 12 and up/Advanced III) Designed for those with intermediate or higher swimming skills who like to workout & have fun. Emphasis placed on endurance and stroke improvement, but class also includes fun aquatic activities. Minimum requirement is swimming 2 lengths of the pool, check with your local facility for additional requirements.
- We have swim teams around the city, learn more about our swim team program
- Private Swim Lessons, call your local Y for more information
- Day Camp Swim Lessons
There are so many options; take classes with friends; learn to swim at any age; and/or become certified in CPR and First Aid to become a lifeguard.